Scream Factory have been killing it lately with a widening selection of must-own editions of classics and cult hits alike. Now, their Collector’s Edition, Director’s Cut Blu-ray set of fan favourite The Exorcist III is on the way–and it’s a doozy.
Available from October 25th, 2016, the set marks the first ever home entertainment release of the Director’s Cut of the movie. This brand-new version of The Exorcist III reportedly reflects William Peter Blatty’s vision of his novel, Legion.
For more than fifteen years Police Lieutenant Kinderman (George C. Scott) has been haunted by the death of his friend Father Damien Karras. Now, on the 15th anniversary of the exorcism that claimed the priest’s life, Kinderman’s world is once again shattered when a boy is found decapitated and savagely crucified. It’s just the beginning of a nightmare series of bizarre religious murders that bear the hallmarks of the infamous Gemini Killer… who died in the electric chair fifteen years ago.
The must-have edition features a new, 2K transfer and boasts over four hours of special features (all of which you can check out below) including a new commentary from Blatty himself and interviews with the legendary Brad Dourif, producer Carter DeHaven and many more.
Blu-ray producer Cliff MacMillan stated of the upcoming release: “We conducted an exhaustive search through a pallet of film assets from the original shoot to re-create William Peter Blatty’s intended vision. Unfortunately, that footage has been lost to time. To that end, we turned to VHS tapes of the film’s dailies to assemble the director’s cut. However, even some of that footage was incomplete, so scenes from the theatrical re-shoot were used to fill in the gaps. This director’s cut is a composite of varying footage quality from the best available sources.”
Scream Factory note on their site: “The Exorcist III is author/filmmaker William Peter Blatty’s personal vision of what followed after The Exorcist. Like the original, The Exorcist III combines elements of a detective story, a theological puzzle, and an unforgettable study in terror”
Pre-order the BD direct from the site and you’ll also receive a free poster of the new cover art, while supplies last, plus early shipping. So get on it.
The exhaustive list of special features is as follows. You can check out the cover art after the jump:
DISC ONE: The Exorcist III (Theatrical Cut)
• New 2K scan of the inter-positive
• Vintage featurette
• Deleted Scene/Alternate Takes/Bloopers
• Deleted Prologue
• Vintage interviews (featuring behind-the-scenes footage) with writer/director William Peter Blatty, George C. Scott, Jason Miller, Ed Flanders, Grand L. Bush, executive producer James G. Robinson, production designer Leslie Dilley, Larry King and C. Everett Koop
• Theatrical Trailers
• TV Spots
• Photo Galleries
DISC TWO: Legion (Original Director’s Cut) 105 minutes
• NEW Audio interview with writer/director William Peter Blatty
• NEW A “Wonderfull” Time – interviews with producer Carter DeHaven, actors Clifford David and Tracy Thorne and production assistant Kara Reidy
• NEW Signs of the Gemini – an interview with Brad Dourif
• NEW The Devil in the Details – interview with production designer Leslie Dilley, assistant designer Daren Dochterman and illustrator Simon Murton
• NEW Music for a Padded Cell – an interview with composer Barry DeVorzon
NEW All This Bleeding – a look at the re-shoot and makeup effects with production manager Ronald Colby, editor Todd Ramsay, effects artists William Forsche, Mike Smithson, Brian Wade and actor/body double Charles Powell